Learn a New Skill
What drives you? Is it career ambition, passion for the arts, a need to create, a yearning to expand your horizons, or something else? Whatever your learning desires are, BCLS can guide you on your path with a variety of online classes and resources.
Explore a new language
If you want to learn a new language from the beginning, supplement a class you’re taking, or brush up where you’re a little rusty, try one or all of these options.
- Pronunciator: A fun and free way to learn any of 163 languages with self-directed lessons, live teachers, movies, music, and more. Learn online, at your pace and schedule!
- Udemy: Offers beginner and advanced courses in several popular languages, including American Sign Language and IELTS courses.
- Kanopy: Supplement your language and cultural learning with Global Studies & Languages videos. Plus, you can watch a foreign film or take a course in Spanish or Latin.
Gain a new set of job or career skills
Are you looking to change your career path? Or, maybe you want to advance in your current field? BCLS offers training tools you can explore at your own pace. Plus, select tools provide certificates of completion you can share with your employers.
- Udemy: Countless business, design, technology and management courses that can help you launch a new career or climb the ladder to a higher level.
- Ferguson's Career Guidance Center: Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center offers resources to assess career goals and interests, plan an education, learn workplace skills, find apprenticeships and internships, conduct a job search, and more.
- Peterson’s Test & Career Prep: Use this resource to practice for standardized tests, explore schools that offer career-advancing programs or prep for an upcoming vocational test.
- SkillUp NJ: Coordinated by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development to provide New Jersey residents with free online career courses including business, workplace skills, technology, management, and more.
Learn new tech or computer skills
Whether you need to use a computer for work or play, you can find a class to teach you how to get the most out of your technology.
- Udemy: Offers many computer and technology classes that you can take at your own pace. Learn to use your Mac or Windows computer, make sense of Excel or explore the technical skills needed by an IT professional.
- SkillUp NJ: Coordinated by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development to provide New Jersey residents with free online career courses that cover basic computer skills, the Microsoft Office suite, and more.
Discover a new art, craft or hobby
Dive right into these classes and nourish your artistic and creative joy.
Looking for a learning opportunity that works with your schedule? One-on-One Assistance is available at all of our branch library locations. Work with a library staff member for up to an hour to tackle technology skills like computer basics, using the internet, writing a resume and more! Get started by selecting a location from the list on the next page. Then, choose a date and time that work for you. Before scheduling an appointment, you'll be asked to provide contact information and a little bit more about what you're looking to learn.