Business & Non-profit Tools
What kind of business information are you seeking? If you’re ready to get started, make an action plan prioritizing your needs, then see which of our options works for you.
Company research & investment information
If you’re looking to explore market forecasts, a specific company’s financial trends, or simply need to do basic business research, try one of these databases.
- Value Line: Combines data, analytical tools, opinions, predictive ranks and expert guidance to offer you investment information and provide company data and market forecasts.
- Reference Solutions: Provides access to American and Canadian business directories, as well as comprehensive information on businesses from Fortune 500 companies to mom-and-pop shops.
How to start a business
If you need help writing a business plan or want to learn what it takes to set up a small business, the following resources might work for you.
- Business Plan Handbook: Provides sample business plans that cover manufacturing, retail and service industries. Editions date back to 1993, and each one is digitally searchable.
- Small Business Reference Center: The basics for new entrepreneurs and business owners. Topics covered include sales, marketing, financing, accounts and up-to-date market statistics for small businesses.
- Foundation Directory: The most updated information on agencies in the U.S. for funding and grants. Ideal for non-profit organizations seeking grant funding.
Online business and management publications
If you need to look up current company profiles or stay updated on local or national business news, try the following databases.
Business tutorials, trainings, webinars & documentaries
Try the following options to watch webinars and tutorials on leadership training, career development, case studies, business communication skills, and much more.
- Reference Solutions: Offers webinars twice a month that cover starting, managing and growing businesses, as well as job seeking strategies and other topics.
- Udemy: Collection of video courses on the Microsoft Office suite, statistics, business data analysis, improving business writing skills, web development, MBA in a box and business communication skills.
- Foundation Directory Online: The most updated information on agencies in the U.S. for funding and grants. Ideal for non-profit organizations seeking grant funding.
- Kanopy: Stream films including documentaries on Business, Career Development, Business Case Studies, Business Skills, Economics and Globalization, and Leadership Training.
- Small Business Reference Center: Offers business videos with helpful information for business owners, including interviews, “lessons learned” features with real-life business owners, lectures and how-to videos to help you start and grow a business.
Business information via eMagazines, eBooks & eAudiobooks
Your library hosts some helpful e-platforms to support your business information needs from any location. Try some of the following.
Still not sure how to start or where to go next? Our librarians can help you at any point in your research journey. From navigating our research tools, to narrowing your search, locating specific sources and more. Simply contact us or stop in any BCLS location and our librarians will be happy to help.