Many of you are familiar with all the wonderful eBooks and eAudiobooks available to the BCLS community via Overdrive and Libby, Overdrive’s dedicated app. We are happy to announce that we have now added thousands of magazines to our Overdrive collection, which you can easily find and view just like you would any of our eBook or eAudiobook items. Simply search for the magazine title you want and if we have it you will see it in the results.
Besides the large selection of popular and well-known titles (Newsweek, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan, National Geographic, and many, many others) Overdrive Magazines have some special features that are sure to make them very popular:
- To find a particular magazine simply search for the title. If it is part of the collection the most recent issue will show up in your results
- Three years of back issues (rolling) are available as well
- You can also search by subject matter. "Crafts", "Food & Wine", "Fashion", "News & Politics", etc. are all specific magazine subjects that help you find what you want easier.
- There are no wait times for any Magazines. If you can see it, you can take it out!
- Overdrive Magazines do NOT count against the 10 loans limit BCLS has for eBooks and eAudiobooks
- There is no limit on how many Magazines you can have out at any one time
- There is an option to "subscribe" to a title. This allows you to be notified when a new issue comes out
- On Libby, you will see a dedicated section called "Magazine Rack" in your "Loans". This is where you will see all the Magazines you have taken out
- Clicking on the "+" icon in your "Magazine Rack" will bring you to the Newsstand, where you will conveneintly see all the Magazines offered already filtered from the rest of the general eCollection
- And finally, as always you don't have to return your Overdrive content. Magazines will remain on your Magazine Rack for up to 21 days and then disappear. But don't worry--you can always take it out again!
Hard copy versions of magazines are difficult things for libraries to maintain. They are expensive and easily damaged. However, these digital versions eliminate those barriers and allow us to provide them simultaneously to everyone in our BCLS community. We are very happy to be able to bring this new resource to you. Enjoy!