The AARP Tax-Aide Program offers free tax help for taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and over. Please call the library or choose a location below to schedule your appointment. Please check back as appointments are cancelled or added. Appointments for March and April will become available on February 14th.
This year the AARP Tax-Aide Program will require users to sit down with preparers and wait while the AARP volunteer preparers fill out the tax returns.
Please bring the following with you to your appointment, as applicable
- Completed copy of the 2023 IRS Intake/Interview Review Sheet
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- Government issued photo ID for each taxpayer (NJ Driver’s License, etc.)
- Social Security Cards for all individuals to be listed on the return
- Info on health insurance coverage (Form 1095-A if you have Healthcare.gov Marketplace/ACA)
- Copies of ALL W-2 (year-end pay stubs), 1099R, Social Security forms
- If unemployed during the last year, info on unemployment received and taxes paid, if any. (Will need to obtain this info from the unemployment office. It will not be sent to you)
- Amounts of any other income such as stock sales, gambling winnings, interest, dividends
- Basis of any stock sales
- Childcare provider’s identification number and address if applicable
- College expenses (1098T) or interest paid by taxpayer.
- Amount and dates of estimated tax payments, if any
- Amount of property taxes paid, amount of property tax rebate, if any and mortgage interest, if any
- Summary of health care out of pocket expenses including mileage for appointments
- Summary of charitable donations
- Home purchase or sale info if any in 2022 or 2023
- Bank document, such as blank check, showing routing and account number if requesting direct deposit of refund.
- Copy of last year’s PTR if applicable
- Monthly amount if you pay rent.
Note: AARP cannot prepare your taxes if you own rental property, cryptocurrency or any digital asset.
* If you are unable to print out the 2023 IRS Intake/Interview Review Form but wish to fill it out ahead of time, you may stop by the library and ask for the form at the Reference Desk.