The Burlington County Library System is so lucky to have a team with wide-ranging knowledge and diverse interests. While many customers may know the names and faces of librarians at their local branch, we want to take the time to introduce more of our staff from around the system.
Hello, my name is Mr. Christian and I have been a generalist librarian at the Burlington County Library for a little over a year-and-a-half. What does “generalist librarian” mean? It means I work both in adult and youth services, offering reference assistance and programming to those of all ages. My favorite and most frequent programs that I run are Chess Club and Stop-Motion Animation Workshops. I’ve also been working for quite a while with our new mobile 3D printer, and hope to start programing at all BCLS branches soon.
I came here after many years of working in a hospital, where I eventually started to work in the medical library. I loved the work so much I decided to go back to school for my library degree, and knowing how much I enjoyed helping find answers for the doctors and nurses pointed me toward public librarianship. To this day, as much as I love programming, my favorite part of my job is providing patrons with reference support and helping to answer questions.
When I’m not at work, you can find me watching baseball or playing video games with my lovely wife Judi, our current favorite being the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Fun facts about me:
- I love the Yankees, the only real team, and love to hate the Boston Red Sox.
- I love to cook and bake (something my coworkers also love), particularly chocolate chip cookies and anything Italian like chicken parm or lasagna.
- My favorite thing about teaching chess is watching someone who has never played before get better and better as they continue to learn.
- My favorite chess player is Mikhail Tal because he never gave up. Even when things were going really poorly, he just kept playing.
- I could talk about the Lord of the Rings and the genius of J.R.R. Tolkien for hours.
- My dream 3D printing project would be to be asked by NASA to help design a lunar colony.
- I love anything by Tom Waits, Tom Petty, The Cure, or early Springsteen like The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle.
- I’ve never been to a concert.
- I’m a lifelong Burlington County resident, having grown up in Edgewater Park and now living in Marlton.
- I have five siblings but I’m the oldest, best and Mom’s favorite.