The Burlington County Library System is so lucky to have a team with wide-ranging knowledge and diverse interests. While many customers may know the names and faces of librarians at their local branch, we want to take the time to introduce more of our staff from around the system.
Hi! I’m Michelle Martin, Community Engagement Manager for the BCLS. I personally find joy in speaking with people across the county about the great collections and services we offer. I also like to build partnerships with other organizations, bringing residents additional opportunities, services and programming.
That's right, it's not just about books! From family events to business programming, video games and streaming media, I love seeing the surprised expression on someone’s face when they discover all of the things offered at their local library. I also work with team members to coordinate outreach at community events, like Farm Fair, National Night Out and Arts in the Park. Next time you see the BCLS tent at an event near you, come say "hi"!
During my 3 years in this position, I am amazed every day by the wide variety of programs that are offered by my creative colleagues. The possibilities are endless and you're sure to be impressed by the expertise that is available and the fun you can have just by walking in the door.
The library's resources have even helped me to achieve my personal goals. I learned Portuguese with the help of Rosetta Stone, explored new recipes with our collection of cookbooks and expanded my love of foreign film with library DVDs and Kanopy.
Here are a few fun facts about me:
- I meditate daily.
- I love spy novels by John LeCarre.
- I am a certified holistic health practitioner and have my own business.
- My favorite place is the beach...any beach!
- I love hearing peoples personal stories – how they ended up in this country, their job, how they met, etc. – it's all fascinating to me.
- Some of my favorite foreign films include The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Red Balloon and the work of Pedro Almodovar.
- I have dual citizenship in the US and UK.
- Every year, I celebrate Boxing Day on December 26.
- I plan on retiring to Portugal.