FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ranjna Das
DATE: Thursday, May 31, 2018 Patricia Parente
(609) 267-9660, ext. 3081
Burlington County Library System Kicks Off 2018 Summer Reading Program
Join the Fun June 18 through Aug. 11
Kids of all ages are invited to find out why “Libraries Rock” by participating in the Burlington County Library System’s 2018 Summer Reading Program kicking off June 18 at all library branches.
Once again, the eight-week program encourages children and teens to put their summer vacations to good use by tracking their reading progress, attending free library events, and earning fun prizes.
“Research shows that children who participate in library programs during their summer vacations better retain the reading skills they gained during the school year, and may even improve them,” said BCLS Director Ranjna Das. “Offered annually, our popular Summer Reading Program helps kids avoid the ‘summer slide’ by reading great books and enjoying a variety of wonderful library programs. We’re looking forward to welcoming back some familiar faces and we encourage those who haven’t previously participated to join in the fun.”
This year’s Summer Reading theme is “Libraries Rock” and kids are encouraged to find time to read lots of great books at home, at the beach or wherever they may find themselves relaxing during their break from the classroom.In addition, free library programs about science, nature and more at all library branches will help keep their minds sharp all summer long.
This is the third year kids and teens will be able to use “Beanstack,” the library system’s online tracking system, to participate in the BCLS Summer Reading program. Through Beanstack, participants will be able to log reading progress, explore books lists and access Activity Tracks, interactive, step-by-step guides customized for each age group and designed to encourage learning, curiosity and fun. (Paper BCLS reading logs also will be available at each library branch.)
Kids age 12 and under will have fun earning badges for each reading milestone, which may be redeemed for prizes. To earn one badge, children ages 5 and under must read (or have read to them) 10 books, and children ages 6 to 12 must read three books. Prizes will vary by branch and may include raffle entries, books, coupons and more.
Those who reach all the reading milestones will earn the most prizes and extra rewards may be earned by completing the online Activity Tracks.
Summer Reading participants ages 13 to 18 can also join in the fun and earn prizes by completing Summer Reading Activity Tracks online or Activity Cards available at all library branches. And teens who use Beanstack to log their reading progress will earn additional prize opportunities for every book they read.
The Burlington County Library System includes the Burlington County Library in Westampton, and the Bordentown, Cinnaminson, Evesham, Maple Shade, Pemberton, Pinelands, and Riverton branches. For more information about the BCLS 2018 Summer Reading Program, contact Holly Hoskins at (856) 983-1444, Theresa Preziosa at (609) 893-8262, or Megan Dehmelt at (609) 267-9660, or go to www.bcls.lib.nj.us Follow us at #BCLSreads, #LibrariesRock and #SummerReading.
BCLS Summer Reading Events for Kids
Please note: some events may require registration.
For details and even more BCLS Summer Reading kids’ events, please go to www.bcls.lib.nj.us
Summer Reading Kickoff Concert – With a guitar, a loud voice, a wig, a kazoo, boxer shorts and lots of silly body movements, Silly Joe presents a “Libraries Rock” kickoff concert. All ages welcome. Registration required.
• Burlington County Library - June 18, 11:30 a.m.
Born to Read: Music, Bubble and Comedy Show – Turtle Dance Music presents a high-energy performance featuring songs, comedy, bubbles, and more. For ages 2 and up. Registration required.
• Evesham – June 20, 10:30 a.m.
• Riverton – June 20, 2 p.m.
• Burlington County Library - June 29, 10:30 a.m.
• Bordentown – July 5, 10:30 a.m.
• Cinnaminson- July 5, 2 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – July 26, 6:30 p.m.
The Lizard Guys – Meet a variety of animals and learn where they come from, their diet, life expectancy and more. For ages 5 and up. Registration required.
• Bordentown – June 20, 11:30 a.m.
• Burlington County Library – June 20, 2:30 p.m.
• Cinnaminson – July 11, 11:30 a.m.
• Riverton – July 11, 1:30 p.m.
• Maple Shade – July 25, 3:30 p.m.
• Evesham – July 25, 6:30 p.m.
• Pinelands – Aug. 14, 1 p.m.
• Pemberton – Aug. 14, 3:30 p.m.
Mr. Scott the Music Man – Find out how “Libraries Rock” and celebrate Summer Reading during this high-energy, interactive, couch potato-free program. For ages 2 to 8. Registration requested.
• Burlington County Library - June 21, 2:30 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – July 19, 2:30 p.m.
• Pinelands –July 24, 3 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – Aug. 7, 10:30 a.m.
Reading Rocks Magic Show – Award winning magician Joe Holiday presents an interactive show featuring a unique blend of magic, comedy, music and audience participation. For ages 4 and up. Registration required.
• Riverton – June 26, 3 p.m.
• Pinelands – June 26, 6 p.m.
• Bordentown – June 27, 10:30 a.m.
• Maple Shade – June 27, 2 p.m.
• Cinnaminson – July 31, 2 p.m.
• Pemberton, July 31, 6 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – Aug. 9, 2:30 p.m.
• Evesham – Aug. 9, 6:30 p.m.
Music Tales to Inspire and Create – Draw along with the music, learn about the glockenspiel, wooden frog, and more. For ages 7 to 12. Registration requested.
• Burlington County Library – June 27, 2:30 p.m.
Wild West: The Mystery of the Golden Piano with ScienceTellers – Explore the fascinating science behind chemical reactions, combustion, air pressure, inertia and more during this interactive, wild adventure program. For children ages 5 and up. Registration required.
• Evesham – June 27, 7 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – July 11, 2:30 p.m.
NJ Dino Crunchy the T-Rex – At 13-feet long and 7 feet tall, Crunchy is the friendliest carnivore you’ll ever meet. Enjoy music, dancing and photo opportunities for all ages.
• Maple Shade – July 13, 11 a.m.
Sharks Rock: The Magic of Sharks II – Learn amazing shark facts during this high-energy, interactive comedy magic show featuring Magician Steve Woyce. All ages welcome. Registration required.
• Evesham – July 17, 10:30 a.m.
• Burlington County Library - July 17, 2 p.m.
• Pemberton- Aug. 24, 5:30 p.m.
Mad Science – Check out some great science programs that feature fun, interactive learning, amazement and wonder. (Please check the website for details about each program.) Registration required.
• Pinelands - July 19, 3 p.m. (Ages 6 to 11)
• Evesham – July 18, 7 p.m. (Ages 5-12)
• Bordentown – July 26, 10:30 a.m. (Ages 5 to 12)
• Maple Shade – Aug. 1, 3 p.m. (Ages 6 to 12)
• Pinelands – Aug. 23, 10:30 a.m. (Ages 6 to 11)
Jessica Nabors: STEAM Flextangle – Create geometric patterns on a template, then cut, fold, and glue together to create a “flextangle.” For ages 7 to 11. Registration required.
• Burlington County Library - July 21, 11 a.m.
Eyes of the Wild: Animals Rock – We all know birds sing but did you know a wallaby has a special call for its baby, alligators make a boom sound in B Flat, and groundhogs whistle? You may see birds, an alligator, a snake, a skunk and more at this family show. Registration required.
• Evesham – July 23, 7 p.m.
• Burlington County Library - July 24, 2:30 p.m.
PAWS Farm – See animals up close and personal! From the cutest bunnies to the scariest snakes, this family show has something for everyone. Registration required.
• Bordentown – July 24, 2 p.m.
Polka Dot Concert: Libraries Rock! – Enjoy music, interactive comedy skits, special effects and more during this family music concert. All ages welcome. Registration required.
• Burlington County Library - July 30, 2:30 p.m.
• Evesham – July 30, 6:30 p.m.
• Bordentown – Aug. 3, 10:30 a.m.
• Cinnaminson – Aug. 3, 2 p.m.
• Riverton – Aug. 7, 10:30 a.m.
• Maple Shade – Aug. 7, 1:30 p.m.
• Pinelands – Aug. 10, 10:30 a.m.
• Pemberton – Aug. 10, 2 p.m.
STARLAB with Palmyra Nature Cove – Climb aboard a virtual space station and participate in a view of Space to Earth from a virtual Geoscience and Remote Sensing Orbiting Laboratory. For ages 9 to 13.
• Cinnaminson – Aug. 7, 2 p.m.
Yosi Music: Friends around the World – Enjoy a multicultural, interactive concert featuring musical instruments from around the world. For ages 2 and up. Registration requested.
• Burlington County Library - Aug. 11, 11 a.m.
End-of-Summer Reading Party – Celebrate your reading accomplishments at these library parties. Ages 12 and under. Registration required.
• Evesham – Aug. 13, 10 a.m.
• Bordentown – Aug. 13, 2 p.m.
• Pemberton – Aug. 24, 5:30 p.m.
BCLS Summer Reading Events for Teens
Please note: some events may require registration.
For details and even more BCLS Summer Reading teen events, please go to www.bcls.lib.nj.us
Dance Class - Imitate your favorite performers and their best dance moves with dance teacher Sabrina Starts, who will cover a range of music and dance styles during this interactive class. Registration required.
• Cinnaminson – July 6, 11:30 a.m.
• Evesham Library – July 11, 6 p.m.
• Burlington County Library – July 12, 6:30 p.m.
Songwriting Workshop – Create your own song with teacher and musician Shawn McGhee. Learn the basics, receive instructor feedback and perfect your piece. Registration required.
• Cinnaminson – July 10, noon.
• Bordentown – July 17, noon.
• Burlington County Library – July 24, 1 p.m.
• Pemberton – July 30, noon.
# # #