Shining A Light on (Her)story
This course will cover Women’s History beginning with the earliest pioneers offering a very diverse perspective of their experiences, adversities and accomplishments. Pioneering American women, together from around the world, had the courage to challenge Patriarchy and are still doing so. Shining A Light on (Her)story will delve into their history and as we learn their stories, give us a foundation for what we can do to continue moving forward.
Presented by Dr. Jacquelin Agostini, Ph.D. Part of the Shining a Light on Her(story) series.
The first 5 classes (Jan. 17, 24, 31, Feb. 7, 14) will be hosted virtually over Zoom. The next 5 classes (Feb. 21, 28, Mar. 7, 14, 21) will be held in-person at the Burlington County Library AND on Zoom as a hybrid event. Registration is optional if you would like to attend in-person for the second half of this series. If you register, you will receive a Zoom invitation the day of the event.
Check out the full class list! All classes are on Tuesdays from 10–11:30am. Attending all of the classes is encouraged but not required.
- Jan. 17: America’s First Ladies and their impact and influence. Who are your favorites?
- Jan. 24: Healthcare Justice. The Pandemic has clearly shown us the disparities in access to Healthcare. Who are the most marginalized and who are the leaders is this movement?
- Jan. 31: Affordable Childcare and a just division of labor both in and outside the home. What women are fighting for Justice and how can we help?
- Feb. 7: Who is still fighting for voter’s rights, and what can we do to help?
- Feb. 14: Women in the Arts. Documentary: “The Passionate Pursuits of Angela Bowen.”
- Feb. 21: Showing a live movie at the Library: “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”.
- Feb. 28: Since we will be at the Library, let’s talk about the important role they have played and continue to play. .There is right wing attacks on free access to books!
- Mar. 7: Guns in America, .leading to violence against children including increased suicide rates.
- Mar. 14: The right to our bodies.
- Mar. 21: Fighting to protect our Mother Earth!
- Registration is required for the Zoom link if you are attending virtually