FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ranjna Das
DATE: Thursday, July 28, 2016 Patricia Parente
(609) 267-9660, ext. 3081
BCLS Summer Reading Program Continues through Aug. 13
“Get in the Game” to Earn More Prizes
Celebrate with End-of-Summer Parties
Burlington County Library’s 2016 Summer Reading Program is a homerun with kids of all ages who still have time to earn prizes before celebrating their reading success at some exciting end-of-summer parties.
This year’s eight-week program kicked off in June with a fun fitness/sports theme that encourages kids to do more than just read; it urges them to get outside, learn about their communities, and enjoy a wide variety of special library events. So far this year, participation has been strong across all branches. And the program won’t end until Aug. 13, so there’s still time to join in the fun!
For every 10 books a child age 5 and under reads, and every four hours a child age 6 and up reads, one prize is earned. There is no reading limit; more reading means more prizes, which may include books, coupons, toys, back-to-school supplies and more.
New this year is an online system for tracking reading progress, or participants can continue to record their progress in Summer Reading “Badge Books” available at their local branches. Those who create online accounts also have access to interactive step-by-step Activity Tracks customized for each age group and designed to encourage learning, curiosity and fun by visiting parks and museums, taking road trips, and more. Additional online features include book lists, wish lists, app lists, learning tips and weekly emails with book recommendations that link to the BCLS catalog for easy access.
BCLS is also presenting a wide selection of fun and educational programs at all branches, including some special system-wide events such as interactive magic shows, science experiments, and animal presentations. For a complete list of Summer Reading programs, go to www.bcls.lib.nj.us
BCLS Summer Reading participants should also mark their calendars for special end-of-summer parties to celebrate their reading achievement at the following locations:
• County Library (Westampton) – Experience the science of power and energy through hands-on experiments with Piccirillo Sciencetellers during the library’s End-of-Summer Celebration on Aug. 13 at 2 p.m. Registration requested.
• Bordentown Library – Head to the library on Aug. 12 at 2 p.m. for a special Ice Cream Social to celebrate the end of summer. Registration required.
• Cinnaminson Library – Celebrate the end of summer with a presentation by Eyes of the Wild featuring live animals for ages 4 to 12 on Aug. 10 at 1 p.m. Registration required.
• Evesham Library – Drop in for crafts, face painting, a scavenger hunt, games and, ice cream while supplies last on Aug. 12 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Log your reading time and pick up your final prizes.
• Maple Shade Library – End summer reading with a bang, a boom, and a puff of smoke during the Piccirillo Sciencetellers party on Aug. 13 at 11 a.m. Stick around afterward to log your final reading hours/books and pick up you award for participating.
• Pemberton Library – Summer Reading program participants ages 12 and under are invited to the end-of-summer Dance Party featuring puppets, balloons, face painting, games, and more on Aug. 14 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Please note: this event will take place during off hours and the library will not be open to the public.) Registration required.
• Pinelands Library (Medford) – Stop by Aug. 12 between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. for cool treats, crafts and more. Registration requested.
• Riverton Library – Summer Reading participants are invited to cap off the summer by enjoy National S’mores Day with the library’s version of this classic treat on Aug. 10 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The Burlington County Library System includes the County Library in Westampton, and the Bordentown, Cinnaminson, Evesham, Maple Shade, Pemberton, Pinelands, and Riverton branches. For more information, contact Danielle Haubrich at (609) 654-6113, or Holly Hoskins at (856) 983-1444, or go to www.bcls.lib.nj.us Follow us at #BCLSreads, #exploreBCLS and #SummerReading.
# # #