FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ranjna Das
DATE: Monday, Feb. 27, 2017 Patricia Parente
(609) 267-9660, ext. 3081
BURLCO LIBRARY SYSTEM CELEBRATES WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH AND MORE
Enjoy Special Programming throughout the Month of March
The Burlington County Library System is pleased to present a full calendar of special programming in March that will celebrate the past and highlight the future.
In honor of Women’s History Month, BCLS will offer a series of events focusing on the accomplishments of women and their important contributions to American history. The programs include a fascinating look at Betsy Ross presented by a certified Philadelphia historical tour guide and professional storyteller, a book discussion about “The Other Einstein,” a novel about Albert Einstein's brilliant first wife, special movies, and more.
Also in March, BCLS will highlight the future by inviting cardholders to explore technology through a host of workshops, classes and crafts. The programs range from how-to sessions for adults who want to learn more about computers, iPads, iPhones, and apps, to tech-related activities and crafts for teens, tweens and kids.
The programs will be presented at the County Library in Westampton and BCLS branches. Please visit the BCLS website at www.bcls.lib.nj.us for a complete listing of calendar events for the month of March.
BCLS Women’s History Month Programs
Dorothy J. Stanaitis, a certified Philadelphia tour guide and professional storyteller, offers a fascinating look at some fascinating women. Don’t miss:
• Betsy Ross’s Next Door Neighbor – Who knows more about someone than a nosy next door neighbor? Get an insider's look at the surprising events in the life of America's first flag maker. Learn more about the woman who had two birthdates, three husbands, four religions, and three gravesites, not to mention seven daughters and 16 brothers and sisters. Registration required.
o March 11, 2 p.m., Pinelands
• Let’s Hear it for the Ladies - We've all heard of Betsy, but what do we know about Peggy, Deborah, Lydia or Oney Judge? Hear the interesting and surprising stories of colonial women who played pivotal roles in the struggle for American independence. Registration required.
o March 24, 7 p.m., Maple Shade
• Jersey Girls - Hear the tales of many generations of New Jersey women who starred in the true life adventures of the Garden State and America itself.
o March 30, 7 p.m., County Library
Additional presentations just for adults include:
• Journal Writing: First Ladies – Do you have a favorite first lady? Bring your journal and get ready to write.
o March 8, 2 p.m., Maple Shade
• Memoirs: Favorite Women – Author and workshop facilitator Victoria Marie Lees conducts a memoirs workshop about each participant's favorite woman. Registration required
o March 23, 3 p.m., Maple Shade
• Women and Science – Rochelle Christopher of Victorian Vanities, an independent historian and speaker, presents an informative and interactive program. Registration required.
o March 23, 7 p.m., Evesham
• Book Discussion – Discuss “The Other Einstein,” by Marie Benedict, a novel about Albert Einstein's first wife, who was also a brilliant physicist and may have contributed to some of Einstein's early work.
o March 15, 1 p.m., County Library
Movies – Enjoy films selected in honor of Women’s History Month.
• March 2, 9, 16, and 30, 6 p.m., Pemberton
• March 20, 2 p.m., Bordentown
Explore Technology at BCLS
Get up to date with smart phone and tablet workshops just for adults:
• iPad and iPhone Basics – Learn how to use your iPhone or iPad during this informal workshop. Registration requested.
o March 3, 2 p.m., March 8, 6 p.m., and March 23, 10:30 a.m., Cinnaminson
o March 14, 10:30 a.m., Bordentown
• Apps for a Better Living – Discover useful and popular apps for health, finance, scheduling and more. Registration required.
o March 8, 10:30 a.m., Evesham
• Introduction to Microsoft Office: Publisher – Learn the basics for creating flyers, brochures, greeting cards and more. Registration required.
o March 28, 10:30 a.m., Bordentown
Explore tech-related activities and crafts for teens, tweens and kids:
• LED Bookmark – Create one-of-a-kind LED bookmarks out of fabrics, circuits, and conductive thread.
o March 21, 7 p.m., Cinnaminson (for ages 13 and up)
o March 27, 4 p.m., Cinnaminson (for ages 9 to12)
• 3D Doodler Crafts – Teens Use a 3D printing pen to create jewelry, bookmarks and small sculptures. Registration required.
o March 10, 6:30 p.m., County Library
• Teen Tech Week – Kids ages 13 and up take the Kahoot! Challenge.
o March 9, 7 p.m., Bordentown
• After-School STEM – Kids have fun exploring Snap Circuits.
o March 13, 3:30 p.m., Cinnaminson
# # #