Often it is the simplest of ideas that can take entrepreneurs off on a ground-breaking adventure. Yet before the idea can take off business leaders must make important investments and commitments of time and money. Starting a business involves thinking, planning, making financial decisions, and meeting legal and regulatory requirements. Use our recommendations to guide you along the process.
Key steps for starting your business:
Are you ready?
- Take this self-assessment from the Small Business Administration
Get local assistance & training:
- NJSBDC New Jersey Small Business Development Center : free, comprehensive start-up and management counseling & affordable training. Call 856 225-6221
- Southern NJ Score: free counseling and mentoring
- UCEDC: Helps by making loans, training and mentoring business owners, helping businesses obtain government contracts, and providing accurate and relevant business information.
Incubators at Burlington County College (BCC)
By combining low market rent, convenient location, diverse clients, shared resources, and support services, the Incubators at BCC offer professional office space, networking opportunities, and business development services to entrepreneurs and startup businesses.
Opened in 1998, more than 100 businesses have started at the Business Incubator.
The Science Incubator at BCC was designed to meet the needs of emerging research and development companies in the biotechnology, chemistry, nanotechnologies and other science-based industries. This highly specialized facility can be customized to support and nurture your newly started science company or research team.
The Virtual Incubator provides clients with a professional address and access to meeting spaces.
As there are more than one billion mobile workers worldwide according to the International Data Corporation (IDC), BCC's Virtual Incubator combines business excellence with innovative techniques to bridge the gaps between time and space and success.
Write a business plan:
- Business Plans Handbook: Browse through hundreds of templates & samples from our online eBook library.
- Small Business Resource Center: A complete e-resource library of expert know-how on all major areas of starting & running a business including financing, management, marketing, human resources, franchising, accounting and taxes.
Register your business:
Choose a business location:
- Burlington County Dept. of Economic Development & Regional Planning
- New Jersey Site Selection Assistance
Learn about financing options:
- Burlington County Small Business Loan Program
- New Jersey Business Financing & Incentives
- SBA Financing Resources
Keep it legal
- New Jersey Licenses & Permits
- SBA’s Business Law (US government compliance)
- US Employment Law (US Department of Labor)
- Free patent, trademark, counseling for NJ businesses
- SBA’s Patent, Trademark, and Copyright
- New Jersey Business Action Center: “One-stop” shop for information about starting and running a business in New Jersey. Goal is to help attract, retain and grow businesses in New Jersey.
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) is a government agency committed to providing support services to small businesses across the nation.