New Jersey Mirror
History of the newspaper:
Nathan Palmer began publishing the Burlington Mirror weekly in 1818 in Mount Holly, the county seat for Burlington County, New Jersey. The weekly newspaper initially focused on business and real estate concerns of the county, but quickly expanded in coverage and scope to include local and national news, commentary and social events. In September of 1819, the title changed to New Jersey Mirror and Burlington County Advertiser and later, in 1872, changed again to New Jersey Mirror.
The full run of the Mirror covers September 16, 1818 to March 5, 1947. Over 130 years of publication, the newspaper recorded the history of Burlington County in detail. Of note are the marriage and death notices from 1818 to 1848 - the era before New Jersey mandated vital statistics be reported. The paper offered social and news highlights from individual townships in Burlington County, excellent coverage of the Civil War (especially the Burlington County Regiment), and detailed legislative and agricultural news for the region and state. One interesting fact is that in the mid-1800s, the Mirror supported the Whig Party and upon the partys dissolution in 1856, the Mirror transferred support to the Republican Party.
Content and scope of index:
The New Jersey Mirror is available on microfilm from October 14, 1818 to March 5, 1947. The microfilm is available at the Burlington County Library in Westampton. Research and photocopies will be done upon request for a fee. Please contact BCLS Reference staff for more information. The indexing of the New Jersey Mirror was a cooperative project coordinated by Judith Olsen and indexed by students and staff of the former Burlington County College Library and the Burlington County Library System. A total of 84,127 records are in this index.