The "Central Record" was founded in 1896 as a weekly community
newspaper serving central Burlington County, New Jersey,
an area eighteen miles east of Philadelphia. During more than 110 years
of publication, the newspaper has chronicled the history of the Medford, NJ region, including
local news for surrounding towns of Medford Lakes, Marlton, Shamong,
Southampton, Tabernacle, Evesham, and Mount Laurel. Highlighted in this
index are birth, marriages and death notices, legislative
news, judicial and legal announcements, business and social concerns
of the area, including news of hometown soldiers in the WWI, WWII, Korean,
and Vietnam Wars and subsequent military actions.
The "Central Record" is available on microfilm from December 24, 1897 to October 1899, January to November 1916, and February 1927 to December 28, 2006. The Central Record Index currently
contains citations from the mid-1980's to the present day. The microfilm
is owned by the Burlington
County Library Headquarters in Westampton, NJ and
the Pinelands Branch Library in Medford,
NJ. Research and photocopies
will be done upon request for a fee. Please contact BCLS
reference staff or Medford
Library for further information.
The Pinelands Branch Library staff and volunteers are currently indexing
the newspaper with
31,786 citations in the database to date.
Generous funding for the preservation microfilming of this newspaper was provided by the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.