History of the newspaper:
The first name of this newspaper was The Bordentown Palladium which was founded in 1845 as a weekly community paper serving the Bordentown City, Burlington County, New Jersey, an area six miles south of Trenton. The newspaper was renamed twice during its publication life. First name change was to The Bordentown Register in 1851 and then it was renamed again in 1966 to the Register-News. Over its 170 years of publication, the newspaper has chronicled the history of the greater Bordentown region, including Bordentown City and Township and the surrounding towns of Fieldsboro, Florence, Roebling, Columbus, Crosswicks, Chesterfield, Mansfield. Also included was news of the border towns of Allentown, Robbinsville and Yardville in Mercer County.
Content and scope of index:
This index includes 47,454 citations to birth and marriage announcements, obituaries and death notices, legislative news, judicial announcements, politics, business and social concerns of the area. There is some indexing of local sports teams and of the local school districts (Bordentown, Northern Burlington, etc.), including Bordentown Military Institute, the Bordentown Manual Training and Industrial School, and other schools. Of special note is the inclusion of news of hometown soldiers in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Wars and subsequent military actions.
The Bordentown Register and Register-News issues are available on microfilm from May 25, 1855 to December 31, 2009. The microfilm is available at the Burlington County Library in Westampton. In addition, the Bordentown Branch Library holds copies of the newspaper on microfilm from 1855-2009 and hardcopy issues from 2009-September 2015. Research and photocopies will be done upon request for a fee. Please contact BCLS Reference staff for more information. The Bordentown Branch Library staff and volunteers continue to add information to the index on a regular basis. In the past, generous funding for the preservation microfilming of this newspaper was provided by the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.