FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Joe Laufer
(609) 267-9660, ext. 5020
DATE: Thursday, March 21, 2013 Patricia Parente
(609) 267-9660, ext. 3081
“NEW VIEWS BUS TOUR” EXPLORES QUAKER MEETING HOUSES
BurlCo Historian Joe Laufer Offers Guided Bus Tour on Saturday, May 18
Spend a day exploring more than a dozen Historic Meeting Houses in Burlington County during a guided bus tour of The Quaker Heritage Trail led by Historian Joe Laufer on Saturday, May 18.
Sponsored by the Friends of the Burlington County Library, Inc., the “New Views Bus Tour” is held each year in May to celebrate National Tourism Week and Historic Preservation Month. The cost of the tour, which will begin and end at library headquarters in Westampton and run from 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., is $50 per person and includes a box lunch.
County Historian Joe Laufer will narrate the bus trip that will feature drive-by visits of eight Meeting Houses, and lengthier tours of seven additional sites.(Information about the remaining four Meeting Houses located in the county, as well as directions, also will be provided.)
Some of the county’s 19 Meeting Houses remain "active" in the sense that they are used for "First Day" or Sunday religious purposes, while others are "laid down," a Quaker term indicating they are no longer places of worship, but rather have been adapted for other uses, such as private homes, headquarters for historical societies, and conference centers. During the bus trip, visitors will have an opportunity to tour the following seven sites:
· Burlington Quaker Meeting (1783) - 340 High Street, Burlington City, (laid down) Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Conference Center.
· Crosswicks Monthly Meeting (1773) - Front and Church streets, (active), one of the largest Meeting Houses in South Jersey.
· Arney’s Mount Meeting (1775) - Juliustown Road and Pemberton-Arney’s Mount Road, Springfield (seasonally active).
· Mount Holly Monthly Meeting (1775) - 81 High Street, (corner of Garden Street).
· Medford Monthly Meeting (1814) - 14 Union Street, (active).
· Mount Laurel Meeting (1760) - Moorestown-Mount Laurel and Mount Laurel-Hainesport roads.
· Moorestown Monthly Meeting (1802) - 118 East Main Street.
The bus will also drive by the: Rancocas Monthly Meeting (1772), 201 Main Street: Bordentown Friends Meeting (1813), 302 Farnsworth Ave.; Crosswicks Orthodox Meeting (1854), 530 Ward Avenue; Mansfield Monthly Meeting (1812), Route 206 South; Lower Springfield Meeting (1775), 1832 Jacksonville-Jobstown Road; Upper Springfield Meeting (1727), Springfield-Meeting House Road and Highland Street; Main Street Friends Meeting House (1842), 53 S. Main Street; and Moorestown (Orthodox) Meeting (1897), 110 Main Street.
For more information, or to register for the 2013 New Views Bus Tour, go to www.BurlcoHistorian.com, or call the County Historian at (609) 267-9660, ext. 5020. Registration forms are available on the website and the deadline is May 7.
# # #