Finding grants for your nonprofit is about identifying funding partners with goals, passions, and a mission that are compatible with those of your organization. Do your homework & learn as much as you can about a possible funder to maximize the potential for a mutually beneficial partnership. Here are some resources to help you research and identify the funders to go on your “short list”.
Identify Potential Funders
Foundations and Corporate Giving Programs:
Foundation Directory Online (in-library access only, please ask staff for assistance)
Connect to your library's subscription to Foundations Directory Online: this comprehensive resource for organizations seeking to pinpoint funding opportunities or market to foundations is available at all BCLS locations. The directory includes detailed profiles of funders and of grants by recipient. If you work for, or volunteer for a non-profit, this resource can help you fund programs and services at your organization. Check the events calendar for the next scheduled "Desperately Seeking Funding" seminar to learn how to use it.
- Are you eligible?
- Grants.gov: The central portal to FIND and APPLY for federal grants, with information on over 1,000 grant programs and provides access to approximately $500 billion in annual awards.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Searchable database of over 2,000 Federal funding programs available to govt., for profit, and nonprofit organizations, plus other groups and individuals. Includes grants, loans, business and non-financial help.
- Grant Wrangler Helping educators, libraries, and parents to find school funding. Grants for teachers, school grants, and money for arts, history, mathematics, science, technology, literacy, and more.
- Top Grantmaking Foundations in New Jersey (The Grantsmanship Center)
Write a Winning Proposal
- Proposal Writing Short Course (Accessible on the Foundation Center )
- Guide for Writing Federal Grant Proposals
Grantspace: A free service of the Foundation Center, this site offers information , resources, and an interactive community to meet the needs of nonprofits worldwide in need of know-how for securing funding and operating effective organizations.